Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Are things ending... or just beginning?

Registration. Registration for senior year. My senior year- I can't even believe it. It feels like just yesterday I was registering as a wee, 5'2" freshman. Going through the motions without really understanding what was going on. I did what I was told and didn't ask questions (except when I had trouble opening my locker or when I couldn't find the next step in the registration process). Each year registration seemed to be worse and worse. Sophomore and Junior registrations were a blur because I was so absorbed in the mentality that I was going to die due to excessive amounts of homework and annoying drama. I am proud to report that I am alive and well despite both unhappy occurences-and yes, there was a bit of both.

Today was almost magical. True, I had to wake up way earlier than I've grown accustomed to over the summer to wait in a series of less-than-exciting lines, but it felt better today than it has any other year. The PTA parents were nicer and more understanding than they've ever been, I took a pretty decent I.D. picture, and I got a really great, easy to manage schedule. Not only that, but it was super easy to drop the classes that I don't need to take, I only have three books, AND I got Roberts for Poli. Sci. and Econ. That, to me, spells out magic. I was desperately dreading the idea of getting submerged in another year of Hanley's wrath.

Another amazing thing? Everyone seemed so much more in tune with one another today. Cliqués and stereotypes didn't feel like an issue... everyone talked to everyone and seemed happy to. And there weren't any awkward "Hey! How has your summer been??? I can't believe we're going to be [insert grade level here]s! We totally need to hang out before school starts!" conversations. Alli and I were talking before registration about how awful and fake those converstaions are, and I was pleasantly suprised to see that they didn't show their evil faces at this year's registration.

Registration is a bitter-sweet thing. It's a reminder that summer is winding down and school is coming on stronger than a hurricane in Florida (or an earthquake in California... I don't want to discriminate against any state in particular). No one likes going to registration for that reason but sometimes it's necessary to pull everyone back from the glorious two and a half month haze we call summer. Don't get me wrong, I love summer. I just know that we all fall into our comfort zones and if we didn't have to deal with things like registration and school we would never leave the places that make us feel safe and comfortable. It's kind of an empowering thing if you think about it. So yes, it signifies the end of summer, but it also encompasses the beginning of a new year with new teachers, classes, friends, clubs, sports, tragedies, and blessings.

I need to reiterate how happy this day has made me. I feel like our senior class is going to be strong and united. This year is going to be fantastic. You just wait.

No comments: