Wednesday, August 29, 2007

51!

This is my 51st blog entry! It seems like I've written a lot more over the year(s), but apparently Alli is right. I don't write very often.

But I'm writing today! I think I'll write about my exciting visit to the post office yesterday.

I don't know how many of you are experienced post office visitors, but I assure you I sincerely lack in the area of post office experience. I've been twice in the past week and I've never felt more lost or confused in my life (that's a lie; precalculus was no picnic.) But I really felt like I was drowning... sinking, deeper and deeper into the inescapable black abyss... sinking... sinking... until the guy at the desk called me over.

I was carrying an unclosed box (aka an OPEN box) which had no postage and no sending/return address. I asked my savior ("guy at the desk") for some packing tape and he said "I'm not supposed to give you any" and handed me the tape. He told me to just write the addresses directly onto the box and seal it up and come back. I followed his directions and returned. "Guy at the desk" reprimanded my taping skills (I had merely sealed the box along the open gap) and taped it across the other way "for security purposes." Then he saw the black X's on my hands and said, "Straightedge?"

This comment reminded me of precalculus (because it was the last time I was required to use a staightedge... mine was Kathleen's boyfriend's middle school ID card that I found). I said, "No...?"

"The X's, on your hands, are you straightedge?"
"Oh... no those are from Hogue's. I was there last night."
::Big smile on "guy at the desk"'s face:: "Who was playing??"
"Um... no one. It was karaoke night actually."
"Oh right on. I used to go there all the time (mumbles something under his breath) before I got into a fight there."
"Ummm... got into a fight?'
::Big awkward, guilty smile:: "Goodbye, have a nice day."

And that was that. And with that I left, and my box was sealed and sent.

I intend to return for further questioning. He got off easy that time.

1 comment:

Allison Fife said...

haha...a fight at hogue's...too funny.