Monday, November 16, 2009

Cotillion Update!

The 3rd grader known as "Timmy" in my last blog changed his tune at the last cotillion.

I saw him the moment he walked in. There he was, acting all nice and innocent. When the kids were numbered off I kept an eye on him to see if he tried to switch numbers with anyone, in case he had ended up in my group again. He looked suspicious, but did not try to switch numbers with anyone. That was a good sign. He did not end up in my group, but I was told to tell his group of children what to expect as they approached the snack table on this particular day. They were to introduce their partner, thank the snack patrons for inviting them to the cotillion, and tell the patrons what they would be doing for their "Winter Break" (I prefer to call it Christmas Break but soon found that children who do not celebrate Christmas were confused, and I had to correct myself by saying, "Oh. I mean WINTER Break." I miss the good old days.)

I walked up to "Timmy" and his partner and tried to act casual. He gave me a look like "C'mon you. You know me!" So I looked at him and said, "Hi 'Timmy.'" I was very casual. Very cool. He said hi and started GUSHING about his pets and his partner's pets and how "[His] best friend is dancing with [his] MORTAL ENEMY!" It was precious. And I felt silly for getting flustered over an 8-year-old.

That's my story.

1 comment:

Caleb Garcia said...

And saying Merry Christmas seems so much more festive than Happy Holidays...you write very well, the Timmy stories were fun to read.